Crypto In Play News 2022 August Third Week
The latest cryptocurrency news curated on a weekly basis.
Covered topics include regulation, user adoption, macroeconomy, and technology announcements.
Table of Contents
From September 2021 to mid-June 2022, 40 companies invested almost $6B into blockchain startups
- Samsung is the most active, having invested in 13 companies. UOB comes next with 7 investments
- Alphabet invested the largest amount of $1,506 mil
Blockchain transactions and Privacy Apps Blocked as Concerns Over Government Blockchain Censorship Continues
- U.S. cryptocurrency exchange FTX has blocked accounts that have sent coins through zk.money, a private later -2-chain provided by the Aztec Network. FTX has identified Aztec as a decentralized mixer, which is prohibited by the exchange.
- Uniswap has blocked 253 crypto addresses that have been connected to stolen funds or transaction mixing services like Tornado Cash
- Ethereum’s largest miner stopped including Tornado cash transactions over a week ago
How decentralized are Cryptocurrencies? Not So Centralized in Terms of Data Centers
- 70% of the 65% of Ethereum’s nodes are hosted in data centers, making 3 major cloud providers responsible
- 95% of cryptocurrency Solana’s nodes are hosted in data centers as well, 72% of which are hosted on the same cloud providers as for Ethereum
Hodlnaut Reports close to $200 Million Financial Shortfall as It Seeks Court Protection
- Hodlnaut, the company has an outstanding liability of SGD 391 million (around $281 million), compared with assets of SGD 122 million ($88 million), resulting in a shortfall of around $193 million.
- Firm had filed for creditor protection in Singapore on August 16 after losses of $187 mil when UST, Terra’s stablecoin depegged
- Hodlnaut has about 17,000 creditors and exploring options to allow customers to do limited withdrawals of 25% of deposits
- Hodlnaut is among other troubled firms like cryptocurrency exchange Zipmex (shortfall of $58mil) and crypto lender Vauld ($400 mil owned to creditors) which have also sought creditor protection in Singapore
Join the Crypto in Play Newsletter
Enter your email and hit the subscribe button to join the Crypto In Play weekly newsletter
for a review and insights on cryptocurrency and life.
© 2022 Crypto In Play All Rights Reserved